Originally published on ificould.co.za:
Sometimes, usually when we’re meeting the great interns on the if i could… programme, we start dreaming about all the places we still need to travel to and how much more of the world there is to experience out there. Do you get sent off on those tangents too?
It’s amazing to theorize about all the trips you could go on and the people you could meet there, and we think dreams like that should only be built on more and more, so we’re working to move the hurdles out of your way while you make more plans.
One of those hurdles is often figuring out how to pay for your travels. That’s why we’ve teamed up with FundMyTravel to help provide solution to your financial roadblock.
FundMyTravel is an online fundraising platform where you can easily build a profile, launch your campaign and share your page to your network of family and friends to help spread the word and encourage more people to donate to your dream.
We made you a quick video with some important tips on how to become a travel funding ninja. Watch here:
Here’s how to run a travel funding campaign that steals people’s hearts and gets you to your destination
- Start a campaign on a platform that’s easy for people to use and donate to (it’s important you don’t lose them with a tricky payment process). It doesn’t have to be on FundMyTravel, it can be on any crowdfunding platform you know, but this is the easiest and best one we’ve found so far.
- Share it everywhere you can! Your friends and family are the obvious ones to tell, but think who else you could send it to — your extended networks, the people from a school tour last year, and even your community media like newspapers? Tell them about all the good you’re going to do in Cape Town or New Delhi and how always let them know how you’ll put their donations to good use.
- If you’re reaching out to people you don’t know, it’s especially important to show them why it’s a good idea to support your fundraising: will 50% of their donations be given to a local charity? Are you using their funds for food or for transport? Can you bring them any souvenirs from your trip? Give people as many reasons as possible to support your campaign.
- When you leave for your adventure, don’t think your campaign ends — send funders regular updates about what you’re doing and how much you’re achieving thanks to their kind donations. This can be in any form you like: Instagram stories, personal emails, actual postcards.
- Let us know when you’re raising funds! We’re starting a monthly Featured Fundraiser spotlight on our social media channels and we’d love to tell your story. Tweet us your campaign page and we’ll share it with our community too.
Would you like to learn more about running a crowdfunding campaign for your travels? We’re running a webinar on funding your travels in January 2017. Let us know if you’d like to join it.